Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dusshera

Saraswati Puja is one of the most symbolic Hindu festivals. Which is saying something, because Hinduism is steeped in symbolism.

The whole process of putting chandanam-kumkum on everything in the house – a pretty thankless task which always gets dumped on me – is like an enumeration of the things which matter to you. For theists, it gives god a clear mandate of what to protect. For atheists, it reminds you of what matters to you.

And then, for one full day, you aren’t supposed to touch your work. Socially, that has always been one of the best ways to ensure the health and adequate resting of labour forces. For example, Sabbath. But this, once-in-a-year hands-off rule is a little different. It is an insidious, sleight-of-hand method of making a new years’ resolution, without having to contend with the party-hangover the next day. It literally gives you the permission to turn a new leaf.

You can tell yourself, I might have flunked every single exam in the past year, or maybe even the past 10 or 15 years; but I pray to God today and I can do something different from tomorrow. The one-day no-work rule lets this idea kind of seep into your brain, and breaks the habit of flunking. It is a scientific fact that this is the best method of breaking a habit.

(The psychologist WILLIAM JONES said Accumulate all the possible circumstances which shall reinforce the right motives; put yourself assiduously in conditions that encourage the new way; make engagements incompatible with the old; take a public pledge, if the case allows; in short, envelop your resolution with every aid you know.http://www.des.emory.edu/mfp/tt8.html)

Someone once told me that this is a stupid practice. “Ayudha” in ayudha puja means weapons – conventionally, prayers were limited to weaponry. Not to the fridges and electrical switches, TVs, books, tennis racquets (!)… let alone cars and cycles. But I think this expansive definition is a good thing. It means that we are moving with the times.

Plus, I like the idea that the Pen can now be mightier than the Sword!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Nice theory about not touching work! I'd like to blv it'd encourage me to do more just binge some more. I mean, we have the 4 days of no-work Durga Puja every year, but I doubt that really leads ppl to make resolutions and let them settle in, in the brain. but interesting thot nonetheless! and as u can see, its diwali and am vela again!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, but then u don 't WANT to change, do you???? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. valid point..but then i didn't really mean it as myself. even generally during pujas...i dont see ppl (as in others) really sitting down to make resolutions! its more of a, pandal hopping, eating, sleeping, chatting, glutton session...and not just me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is precisely my point -- problems of Hinduism -- post coming up when my submissions are done!

    ReplyDelete