Sunday, January 30, 2011

Slow Down!!!


WARninG: Probably a really crappy post, about all my doubts and insecurities, so I will understand perfectly if you guys skip this one. But its’ better to have these thoughts down here, in the blog, rather than roaming around in my head and ruining all my [few] attempts to study tax.
First off, I set up this blog for one thing, but I have gotten something else from it, altogether. I wanted to see for myself, if I could keep up with the rigour and discipline of regular posts…and apart from two [big] breaks in-between, I think I managed to make time for it, et al. More important, I found that I could actually think of things to say, and write, and communicate, hopefully without completely boring you all.
The subject of this blog, obviously, is not about what I did today, or what dishes I have tried to cook (aka Julie & Julia!), the news of the day, or even exclusively the books I am reading. I wanted to pick one and all of these, arbitrarily, to hold them up to “the cold light of scrutiny”. (Don’t ask me who said that, but its’ a really nice quote; my regards to whomsoever did say it…)
I always, always, have wanted to be able to add that little something to ordinary discussions. For instance, it makes no sense, to me, to say for example, that the GDP of a country is phenomenally high, if you don’t also add that 20% of people hold 80% of wealth. Or vice versa.
And it certainly is no fun, to say that GDP is xxxx billion dollars, but to not use the word “phenomenal”…I bet no one has ever used those words in the same sentence before! :-P
But the one thing I’ve learnt since beginning this blog, is that, that “little something” remains extremely, irrelevantly negligible, if you just keep looking for new “somethings”. My Oxford essay talks about a big potential breakthrough in some theoretical models, because finally, theorists are moving away from a “frenzied race to maximize utility”, and accepting that perfection is impossible in a social science, and imperfection is an acceptable compromise. Oddly, that essay has as much to teach me, as it has, to convey to the rest of the world.
Does this mean my post frequency will come down??? I hope not. Because what I do receive from this blog, is the perfect opportunity to vent all these stupid thoughts, on my hapless, captive (*really sweet smile*) audience. Leaving me free to study for my tax exam.

2 comments: