Monday, September 6, 2010

About how to be mean.

You know, I'm really surprised how easy it is to just slip right into another identity - as if the earlier me just never existed. So much so, sometimes I feel like a classic split personality. I'm suddenly standing up for myself; suddenly letting myself actually win in competitive stuff. I guess, at some level, I always thought competitive winning was impolite... (!)

So, yea, I'm a total nut job. Worse, I psychoanalyze all this to my wit's end. But the interesting part is, how the rest of the world reacts to such a dramatic change. Of course, there is some level of stickiness (economics terminology!) or (if you prefer jurisprudential terms :-) ) social habit or custom, which prevents people from sensing the psychological change immediately. After all, I still look the same.

Well, about the closest people could get to describing my new-found (or newly-displayed? fine line of difference there...) confidence, is to say I've suddenly become "mean". Now is that a wholly good thing?

But a word of caution: it's not failure, or jealousy, which most endangers success. It's lack of faith. Several people - particularly ones you trust THE most - have questioned my abilities after my "winning habit" resolution begun. I know they have good intentions, but you have to teach yourself to draw that line, to stop listening to them, before you make a drastic life change.

3 comments:

  1. interesting.what kind of a winning habit are u talking about? female, u really HAVE to give me examples :) It gets supremely vague if you do not.
    (does this have anything to do with you going to delhi?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the point of this post IS to be a little vague on exact facts...though my presentation Delhi hadn't come through when I wrote this, that's a damn good example.
    I don't think the "winning habit" is per se relevant...that's more still a work-in-progress. I just want to win in (any and all) competitve activity...nothing vague about that.
    But answer my bigger question: is a perception of "meanness" a wholly good thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. perception of meanness? only the person who you are being mean to can answer that i think..

    ReplyDelete