Wednesday, September 8, 2010

plans going awry

I've come up with a new conceptualization of how we think and live. Everyone knows of the divide between the conscious and the unconscious mind, and their different wants. I used to think that the conscious mind merely reflects what you want the world to see you as; the sub-conscious is who you truly are, the very core of your substance.

I should have seen this coming, when I could only explain the subconscious though words which all hypnotize and razzle-dazzle you into thinking you are something special. That's nothing but the ego - to be avoided like the plague. My friends call me arrogant and snobby and stubborn; but to lull yourself into complacency based on your superiority complex is just plain stupid. Maybe even dangerous.

My problem with the subconscious is merely this: it applies the brakes to any endeavour I take up. It does not provide a rationale, it has no rhyme or reason. I am completely at its mercy, and it enjoys being as non-benovelent a dictator as possible. And then, when I don't attempt something, or I don't follow through on some thing I consciously want, it has no issues with worsening my depression after I mess it up.

So, part of the plan for this year is to ignore the subconscious, however tough that might be. No psychiatrist would advise this - but I've put up with its crap long enough.

2 comments:

  1. can u give us examples of when your subconscious mind stops u from doing things? it eerily sounds like one's conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is precisely my point. The sub-conscious is NOT merely conscience. It is a bundle of arbitrary decisions, mos of which I am not even aware of.
    If you watch your thoughts CAREFULLY, u'll see that there are times when you just aren't trying hard enough. You know, like how some people instinctively like or dislike math. Or how you are just not in a mood to make conversation. Or how you couldn't be bothered to run around on a tennis court - but not because you don't want to win the match; merely because it's too much effort.

    ReplyDelete